Mobility scooters are divided into three classifications under the Use of Invalid Carriages on the Highways Regulations 1988:

Classification 1

These are manual wheelchairs, i.e. self-propelled or attendant propelled, not electrically propelled.

These are not required to be registered with DVLA.

Classification 2

Covers powered wheelchairs and mobility scooters – which are intended for footway/pavement use with a maximum speed of 4mph and an unladen weight not exceeding 113.4kgs.

These are not required to be registered with DVLA.

Classification 3

Classification 3 covers mechanically propelled invalid carriages that are constructed or adapted to be capable of exceeding a speed of 4mph but incapable of exceeding a speed of 8mph on the level under its own power. Such scooters are for both road and pavement use. They must also be fitted with a device capable of limiting the maximum speed to 4mph for use when travelling on footways/pavements. The unladen weight must not exceed 150kgs.

These do required to be registered with DVLA.

How do I apply to register my class 3 invalid carriage?

Class 3 invalid carriages need to be registered for road use and be licensed in the "disabled" taxation class. Unlike ordinary cars, invalid carriages do not need to provide evidence of VED exemption when licensing in the disabled class. Also, they are exempt from paying the first registration fee and are not required to display registration plates.

In order to register and license a class 3 invalid carriage the user will need to complete form V55/5 (for used vehicles) or V55/4 (for new vehicles) - and take or send it to their nearest DVLA office (addresses can be found on the website or in the V100 information leaflet which is available from some post offices or by telephoning 0870 243 0444 – you will need to quote your postcode). Evidence of the vehicle’s age (if available) will need to be submitted with the application together with documentation confirming the keeper’s name and address.

Will Mobility Scooters Face a Tax Increase?

Mobility scooters may soon have an increase in their prices after a change in their tax classifications to leisure vehicles by Brussels.

This new decision will put mobility scooters in the same class as gold buggies and racing cars. This will result in extra import duties payable for mobility scooters made outside the European Union.

Age uk have urged ministers to fight the move, which is likely to add £200 to the average £2,500 cost of the scooters, as importers pass on the duty charge.

Manufacturers also fear that it may also lead to a change in their zero rating for VAT.

"Classifying all mobility scooters as leisure vehicles is ludicrous. They can be a vital tool to keep older people independent and mobile. A mobility scooter can make the difference between someone staying in their home or ending up in a care home."
"If scooters are to be made affordable for those who need them, the UK Government must put pressure on the EU to totally rethink this policy."

Gordon Lishman, director-general of Age Concern

Tax Fine

If you are an owner of a class three mobility scooter or power wheelchair (scooters and wheelchairs that can travel up to 8mph) you are required to register the vehicle with the DVLA and display a FREE tax disc. One you have registered the vehicle for the first time the DVLA will send a yearly reminder to renew the tax. Renewal can be undertaken in your local post office or over the phone or by the internet. No payment is currently required.

If you no longer us the vehicle it is important to inform the DVLA and obtain either a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) or cancel the registration if the scooter if exported or scrapped.

If a valid tax disc or SORN is not obtained for the vehicle you can be liable for a fine of £80.

For further information on taxing you scooter or power wheelchair contact your nearest DVLA office or call0300 1231277or 0300 7906802

Select one of our product ranges to find out more